Selby & District Foodbank & NCS Programme August 2019
A number of final year Selby High School students elected to take part in the National Citizen Service (NCS) programme for 4 weeks in August. NCS is a voluntary personal and social development programme for 15–17 year olds (further details at https://www.ncsyes.co.uk.)
The final 2 weeks involves the students planning a community project, working out how to fund it, ensuring that what they are planning is acceptable and useful to any appropriate organization, and then the final week is spent working out that.
Sixteen Selby High School students visited Selby & District Foodbank with proposals to promote Foodbank and help us in our work. They checked on the food we typically packed, having already undertaken some of the following tasks and then proceeding with working through the remainder.
They achieved the following:-
- Checked on collection points in local Supermarkets, to see our current publicity and donations (wk. 3)
- Surveyed shoppers on their awareness of what Foodbank does, where we are located etc. (wk. 3)
- Worked on bag packing at Supermarkets to fund their project (wks. 3 & 4)
- Cooked a variety of meals and held two public tasting sessions in Selby Market Place, along with running a tombola with prizes purchased with bag packing funds, to raise additional funds (wk. 4)
- Produced 100 each of 12 menu cards, printed on durable card using food provided by Foodbank adding in some cases other cheap items.(wk. 4)
- Presented Foodbank with £740 that was the surplus generated from their fundraising. (wk. 4)